[UI] Battle Map PVP

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Kharelia, May 14, 2020.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Kharelia

Kharelia User

According to the Galactic Strife event FAQ's, kills only count towards reputation if they happen in the battle maps. Oddyssey even said that this meant players who didn't want to take part in the PVP action weren't forced to.

I know of players who have stopped playing DO because of the forced PVP. This is the only MMO I have ever played (and I've played a good few over the years) where PVP is forced on players.

This wouldn't be so bad if players really did PVP in the true sense of the term - but so many of them just cloak, pick the weakest player they can find and (in many cases) one-shot them for an easy kill. This is not PVP and is hardly good for getting players to stay in the game.

So why not make what's going on in the GE event a permanent feature of the game? Make all enemy kills (including missions) only count if the kills are done on the battle maps. Remove all rewards for killing enemies on their home maps but increase them for doing them on the battle maps.

This would leave the home maps for PVE and, I think, would actually make the game a lot more attractive: those who want to PVE could do so in peace, those who want to PVP could do so on the Battle Maps and get a decent challenge (and get great rewards for doing so) and those who want to do both ... can! I can't help thinking it's a win-win situation and might just bring new players to the game.

anduril likes this.
  2. Then it wouldnt be dark orbit anymore it would be some other game. Not sure how long you have played DO, but I would guess not very long. It is much easier today than it was 10 yrs ago, so if you cant handle it, go play something else. Those of us that play DO, because we enjoy DO, dont see any reason to make it some watered down boring version of the game we have played for years.

3. Kharelia

Kharelia User

I've been playing DO on and off for many years - more off than on admittedly. I would agree that there have been some positive changes, for example the update in daily missions and being able to craft items now. But this game is NOT easier than it was, not for new or returning players.

There are more bots everywhere making getting NPC kills harder. New players are put on servers with players like yourself who have been around for years, haven't had chance to build themselves up and have no hope of getting anywhere near being able to hold their own against extremely strong players many of whom are, quite frankly, cowards who just look for weaker players that they know can't fight back.

And this is the attitude that is so damaging. Thankfully I do, which is why it doesn't bother me that much that I've already decided enough's enough - again - with this one for now. Too many people in it with your attitude - closed minds unwilling to change who don't seem to understand, or care, that this game is not new/returning player friendly. Games need new players!!

How very closed minded of you. You've clearly never played a real PVP game if you think what goes on in DO is PVP. There are a few players in this game who do play proper PVP and kudos to them but in general DO should really stop calling itself a PVP game because it hasn't been one for a long time. Unfortunately, you are not alone in your attitude. And it's a real shame.

I've said it before - this game could offer so much to so everyone but doesn't. That's largely on BP but it's also on players with your attitude.

I hope you enjoy your game of Cowards and Bots. For me - I'm done. Have a great day. :)

4. EGGLOAF

EGGLOAF User

Thank god, I was waiting for someone to propose this idea. EPIC :)

5. It takes about 3 weeks to get beyond FE and be competitive in this game. Thats much faster than it was 10 yrs ago and if you have time it takes less than 3 weeks. Some friends and I started noob accounts on a different server and it is much easier to build an account today than it was 10 years ago with all the new advantages that have been introduced. I remember when 5 players did the 200 sib quest it meant killing 1000 sibs for all 5 to complete it. Now 8 players can complete it by killing only 200 sibs between them. All quests are much easier today due to the outfit and with the firepower being so much greater than it was. I remember people had to find players to help do cubes because nobody could solo one, now anyone that can get to the x-6 map can solo a cube. So you can quit with the whining about how unfair it is. It is much more fair for the new player today than it was back when this game was more popular. If the bots make it too hard for you, make a friend in another company and ask them to clear the bots for you.

6. Kharelia

Kharelia User

NONE of what you have said here has any relevance to what this thread is about. My suggestion has been about a way of improving the alleged PVP side of the game; which I notice you have made no comment about. THAT is what this thread is about, not about grouping up to take on 200 sibs in missions back in the day!! There is something I want to point out though in response to what you have said here though: Perhaps some people have been able to build up as you claim in about three weeks. Good for them! On my server, prices are so ridiculously high in the auction house that I still only have 5 irises after several weeks of being back. And the three weeks? Sure, if you have nothing else to do all day, some people only have an hour or two at a time and can't play every day.

If you think every suggestion to make a change is whining then you need to look up the word 'whining'. My suggestion was a way of addressing the forced PVP, or more specifically, the cowardly excuse we have for it in this game. My idea would open it up for everyone and make PVP more challenging and attractive for real PVPers. Not what takes place now. It would also attract players who prefer to do only PVE and for those who enjoy both, then they would be especially happy.

The bots make it more difficult to get the npc kills, yes, but they in themselves don't make the game harder in the sense you seem to be implying. Your comment (and the only relevant one you made) is a reasonable suggestion as far as it goes. In my experience, however, the other company players usually (there have been rare exceptions, I'll grant you that) just ignore the bots and go for the weaker quick kills and generally ignore invites.

I stand by my suggestion. I know it will be ignored which is a shame for a game that has this much potential but there it is.