Do's and Dont's of Darkorbit

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by chixonator, Dec 7, 2013.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. chixonator

chixonator User

This was posted by Jackat on the old forums so i am moving it to this forum,
    here is the link to the old forum thread where people have commented, added other helpful things and tips for playing.
    http://en.board.bigpoint.com/darkorbit/showthread.php?t=438297

Hello, Today i decided to make a little help guide for noobs and experienced players on this game, as i see many making the same mistakes as i did, And regretted. So here are a few usefull tips,

1. If you are not f.e i personally wouldn't spend your money on booty keys, They are mostly a waste of money, and if you are not f.e, you don't have much use for xenomit and elite ammo anyway. Although, it is your choice, there is a chance of getting good items, So if you are feeling lucky... Not my advice but its not my spaceship [​IMG]

2. Dont use EMP'S Unless you really, I mean realy must!, But be warned, Do not use them too late, as you cannot EMP near a port, So be carefull,

3. Dont buy a BIGBOY, I know it sounds stupid to some of you, As you think ahh 128k IM Invinsible, Well, Your not, As the bigboy suffers in speed all you need to be is a bit of port and ur essentially fodder for the enemy companys,

4. Do all the nooby quests, I know there boring, but just get them out of the way for that extra uridium, ETC, And it can even give that elite ammo,

5. Dont bother constructing gates.... YET (Level 1-9) As you wont be able to do them, And the temptation is sometimes so strong you jump in oblivious to what lies inside them. My advice is dont waste uridium on them anyway...PALLY PALLY PALLY

6. Dont bid for LF-2s on trade, They are rendered useless to be honest, Save up more for lf3s. Unless you are alien hunting, then yes do that as they are considerably cheaper. **Update: LF-2's are no longer in trade, you can now buy them in the store for credits.

7. Be in an outfit, Even better with a powerfull ship, As then they can help you hunt for aliens etc,

8, DONT Buy the pet, YET, As it is essentially useless to you at this point, With all that money you could buy 5 lf3s, Or even 5 bo2s, The pet only hits about 600 if you are not rolling in uri, So be carefull

9. Invasion gates! Do look for these on the forums, And also take part in these, but also. kill the Kucurbiums, They will give you rewards beyond your wildest dreams (Ish) Lol

10. Dont use tech center yet, It is basically useless to you at this point, You would have no use for a energy leech, Yeah it looks cool, but really, You would be hitting 1k and getting 100 hp back per 2 seconds, Not good, (EDIT) Apart from the precision targeter, now that is worth the money, 100% hits of all your rockets

11. Lordakium quests, Do these with an outfit to gain access to 2-6 and 2-7, These are where the real credits lie,

12. Uber maps, Dont go in uber maps unless you are either painfully close to f.e, Or there, Beacause its a pvp map, and you can either get 1 shoted by an uber sibelon, Or 1 shoted by a player, so just dont go into that 1

13 Pirate maps, This is a tricky 1, Because as there is a base, You can make credits and cargo, But if you are a low level and get saboteur-ed and you slow down and theirs an annihilator warming up its cannons, You are basically toast, Very burnt toast,

14, Bids, BE WARNED, You do not get credits back for any lost bids, No matter how much there is, there is no 2 ways about it. **BIG edit, Credits are now refunded no matter how much you bid! Thanks darkorbit! Although be warned, because the risk of losing credits is gone, the average price of things has now gone up in my opinion! *Thanks space_rager[​IMG]*

15, Special designs, If you decide to ignore the booty key bit and decide that your feeling lucky, Don't be hoping for a special design, As they are rare, And not that useful to you, as you can still get hammered, Even if you are spectrumming or not,

16, Instashields, I see people at base using instashields, Because they sound cool, Or look cool, This is a waste, and don't do it, use them when you have too

17- Leonov, Buy this ship as it is an amazing way to kill aliens in the lowers, 2x damage! and good speed and double shield, AMAZING, But be warned, the ship doesn't use this in upper maps, so be careful when buying. Combined with the Chevron formation, this ship is unstoppable.

18- Repair bot 4 AND other cpus, Dont waste money on these cpus just buying them, as that is rubbish, bid on them AND the slot expander.

19- Boosters, Boosters are useless if you are only hittin 5k x4, So dont buy them as there will be no difference,

20- Use only x1 and credit rockets on npcs, There is absolutely no point in using any other ammo,

21- Not a to big outfit, As the rewards will not be worth keeping

22- Cubing at peak times, Dont do it, its good rewards, Heck about 300 uri per kill, But on the return run, And u see a goli from the enemy company, Your dead

23- Low uri, I class low uri as 5000 or less than that, always make and keep 5k uri spare, as if you get lower and keep going lower you will be not be able to repair

24- Dont repair credit ships with Uridium, Just buy them again, Much more economical,

25- SKYLAB, Upgrade this and start transfering promerium as fast as possible!

26- Pilot bio, If you are either buying uri or spending uri on Pilot bio, Then definatly put it into the defence mechs, Such as more hp, absorption, and evasive maneuvers, Bounty hunter maybe after that, rocket fusion last, as with evasive maneovers, theres about 10 percent chance of an enemy hit, this could essentially give you 10 percent more time to get to port, think about that,

27- Capture the beacon, Dont participate, as no offence, sometimes little ships in that event are useless, its not free reps and the enemy golis will take pride in smashing you to pieces and getting the beacon, So leave it to the 'Pros' Whilst they die defending the beacon, and your making 3k uridium an hour, happy days,

28 Sell cargo, Always sell your cargo, Duhh its extra credits

29- Dont be rude on chat, respect the mods and be nice.

30- Join a willingly helping clan, Dont beg for credits, Just be grateful for there help, And you could even soon be one of the best,

31-32 Courtesy of dmaryz, Thankyou for making this thread better [​IMG]

31. Do NOT sit in very center of port - ever. Park your ship at edge of portals - you still get the neutral zone there and will be safe. The reason being when FE's are trying to clear your maps of enemys, and the enemy is cloaked - they cannot lock on enemy when you are parked there. When a cloaker jumps - he lands under you.

32. When jumping ports jump from the side of port - don't go to center of port and then hit J. Because of the time it takes for jump to initialize -again you are blocking port and those seconds can be vital when FE's are clearing the maps.

New ships--- 1- The spearhead [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

33- If you fine yourself the sleek, Spy of the outfit, Then this is the ship for you, The spearhead gives you the RECON ability for you to be able to give your outfit a more in depth look of the current star system, It boosts your minimap range by 2x, Also if there is a stack of Enemys there, Just pop on your ultimate cloaking device, this means you cannot be locked by enemys, And you can make that great escape, And when you find yourself in a trick situation with an nme, Just pop the mark target button, And before you know it, Help will come whooshing your way, And it doesent just stop at that!, All attack on the target will be boosted by a certain %, And if that target gets upset and decides to finish you of with a venom, Just hit JAMX, And it will jam the ability and render it, Totally, USELESS,

Special skills for the spearhead, And ratings below,
    [​IMG] Recon- This doubles the range of your minimap, Rating, 8/10
    [​IMG] JAMX- This emits a jammer, what stalls the ships special abilitys, So use this if somebody decides to use there venom on you.
    [​IMG] Ultimate cloaking- I myself is very dissapointed in this, as it only lasts for 30 seconds, if it lasted for 2 munites then i would be happy, Current rating... 4/10
    [​IMG] Target marker- This allows you to mark your targets on the minimap, It makes them visible from unlimited range on the minimap, And paints them with a red ping marker, This is very usefull and it gives all people in the outfit attacking that person, A slight, But usefull, damage boost

34- Dont be lured in my scams. ETC, Download this program and put in your username and password and we will give you free uridium...They wont i repeat wont give you free uridium, they will just steal your account, i know it may be tempting for a noob to see a message saying want 2 billion uri in seconds, of course everybody does, but the old saying goes by... Some things are just to good to be true

35- If you see a big red dot on the space map with many outerlying dots, thats an enemys battlestation, Stay away, Even they catch me out and they hit about 60k a hit, so stay away!

36- You should always sell your cargo, I too am a sucker for not selling my cargo, I can be at my station repairing and still not sell my cargo.

37- dont go for a toilet break during gates, Trust me you get caught out (from personal experience)

38- (aimed at under level 13s) Stay away from 4-5, Just do it, no point in going in there, you are just fodder.

39- Pirate maps- Unless in a group, Dont go into the pirate maps yourself, there is so many ways to die, and if your cloaked, DONT GO IN THE MIST!, It uncloaks you.

40- Use NYX for quests, Some nice rewards in there, Like bootys and logfiles.

41- As a noobie, Make your main aspiration to survive, Not to kill everything, be cautious, But not too cautious

42- Use auction house wisely, Credits are non refundable, And watch how many Zero's you are putting, Its easy to put a million instead of a hundred thousand! Edit: Credits are now refunded! So bid what you like!

43- Watch the danger bar!
    [​IMG]
    ^ The bar above on the minimap shows how many enemys there are in your map, But be wary, it only works in your X-1 And X-2 Map,

44- Important info on booty keys!

When you get 1500 uridium, dont buy a booty key straight away! Wait until you have like 5000 uridium, dont just keep buying 1. Beacause if you die whilst opening or on the way back, Your stuffed!

Contents of bootys...

Bootys more than often give rewards such as ammo. Mines bieng a popular choice when given out, but they can also give good items! Such as 10 hour boosters, LF-3 And LF-4 laser cannons! They even have a chance of giving out very rare designs, Such as special designs etc, They also give out blueprints for an additional drone->

'You recieved a component to the APIS drone blueprints, The cost to instantly produce this drone is now lower' < All this means is you got 1 blueprint out of 45, Nothing to get realy excited about. You diddnt get the full drone, you just got a part.

You can also recieve Speed generators and Cloaking CPU's from these!

But dont let all the info above mis-lead you into thinking there great, There not the best and the most economical thing to spend your money on if IM honest, But other people might disagree, you have a very small chance of something good, And about a 98 percent chance of something rubbish.

45- Free repair days!- On these days you should do the quests what you think hold a risk of dieing, whether it be sneaking behind enemy lines to spend an hour in the enemy maps, or just generally patrolling the enemy X-1 map. Because these days hold a high risk of dieing you should take advantage of the free repairs whilst doing these quests, you should also take these chances to go and explore the other realms of space what you have never seen before! **Edit: Repairs are now free for everbody across the star map! Although for non premium players it still costs 200 and 300 uridium to repair at the jump gate or on the spot, my advice is DONT use them unless you have a credit ship!!!

46- Buying Uri- If you're thinking of buying uri, don't do it at any other time rather than a MHH. (Mega happy hour). This means you will get triple if you buy it at the time of the mega happy hour, this means you can buy much more uri for your money! **Edit, if you have a uridium offer on the back page (for example £$35 for 330k) use these on MHH's, they work!

47- When you are searching for contents in bootys- Only open booty boxes on either an Zeus day, or an LF-4 day. Because if you do it on a zeus day, you can get your zeus prints at the same time of getting the apis prints. The LF-4 day gives you double the chance to get an LF-4. But don't be dissapointed if you still don't get the items you want even if it is on one of the days, its all chance. But last LF-4 day i didn't have many keys (I don't spend much on them) but i had a zeta so i decided to do it, i got 1 LF-4 from just 25 keys, so it just shows you the chance is higher on those days. On a normal day i struggle to get anything from 100 keys.

48- {Aimed at people level 12 and below}- Mega happy hour special ammo- Do not buy this ammo until you have a ship worthy of firing it, at these levels you are only going to hit about 20k RSB. And that is nothing if I'm honest. and RSB is so expensive you could use it on much more constructive things. EMP's are useless at these levels because you are paying 500 Uri to Potentially save yourself, when the reality is you will probably die anyway and the death will have cost you 1000 uri instead of 500. Uri hellstorms are useless to you apart from the uber ones, maybe buy a few of these to use against those high level aliens once you are in the uppers by yourself, but do not buy that many. Slow rockets are extortionate for what they do, and are useless to a new ship, The mines are no use to new ships either. The slow mines are effective and are worth the 50 uri ONLY if you know how to use them, and not many newbies do.

49-Drone formations- These should be one of the last things you buy, do not buy them when you are not F.E, these should come after your bio and bo2s and lf-3s and iris etc. When you are ready to buy one, i really suggest the heart formation, it is fantastic, you get a 20% health boost what is useful, and that 10% boost to your shields it like you are wearing another bastion design!. Although you lose 5% laser damage, the benefits outweigh the bad parts.

50- Don't steal other peoples work, and if you do, at least credit them for it (Cooljak96 [​IMG])

Thanks and give me improvements on how to improve this thread

2. jacktatt

jacktatt User

My thread! :D:D:D

GΛLΛCTUS_R3BΘRN likes this.
  3. chixonator

chixonator User

I know!!! i tried to find other "how to" things on the old forum but didnt see any so i just posted yours

4. lol good job to both

5. chixonator

chixonator User

6. now 1 thing you have to do all the time is if your in a clan war, and a member of that clan is killing enemy help him kill enemy, and then kill him

7. chixonator

chixonator User

true :D

8. Check your signature making thread please

9. SPSAT99

SPSAT99 User

Not when you or your group member is about to pop from an NPC!:p

10. I am not sure if this was mentioned because I couldn't be bothered reading through the whole list, but boxing on the battle maps is actually great for anything.

Now don't say 'What, the battle maps? That's suicide!' No, the battle maps are virtually empty these days. I opened another hangar hall and threw in a Vengeance just to box in those maps (I leave my Goliath in the Upper Maps). But yeah, the chances are, you won't run into any red dots. Even if you do, chances are they are also boxing and won't fight you.

So as soon as you can access 4-X, get a fast ship, a cloak and go and box. I recorded about 3k Uridium and a whole lot of Galaxy Gate energy, ammunition and credits in an hour or so.

Bear in mind that the boxes in 4-X give 1.5 times the award of those not in battle maps.

I hope this is helpful.

11. Well ... best OP thread ever. Will helped to all newbies.

12. That must be a lot of work to write something that big. Newbies will appreciate it for sure, and I appreciate you both, OP and chixonator for posting it here.

13. 100% wrong - the only way a new player without euro to get uridium is to boxing in PVP map
    boxing in PVP without pet is useless
    GET A PET ASAP

14. patch97

patch97 User

Back when this was wrote, chances are the PvP maps were busy and boxing was not safe due to the 500 uri rep on base and it may have left noobs without uri, even now, boxing can be bad for newbies due to lack of creds for bids.

To get a P.E.T With good collecting gear= about 100k uri. 100k uri other things like pilot bio or core equipment. Best way would be get all core equipment. When you got basic f.e with heart formation try and get uri for pet and get resource collecter and pally for zetas/kappas. Boxing is only good when you are maxed out on protocols and bio (Like i personally am)

15. SPSAT99

SPSAT99 User

I kinda diverted from the second part of your post. I got my pet way before I was full FE, then got heart and then diamond. And I rarely boxed, just farmed cubes, ubers; basically killed every NPC I could find.

16. OMG, I was space_rager on the old forums, I didn't realize he credited me for telling him that :DDD

17. jacktatt

jacktatt User

;)

18. SPSAT99

SPSAT99 User

As jacktatt quoted, he is just following his rule! Can't make rules for someone else when you don't follow them yourself! :p

19. This thread is massively outdated by now.

20. SPSAT99

SPSAT99 User

Most are still intact