[UI] Quick suggestion: Drones, Laser ammo, Log Disks, Galaxy Gate Probability, Bonus Boxes

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Baby_Squirrel, Aug 4, 2020.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. This game will be better off if you make these [reasonable] changes. Don't worry, people will still pay the same amount of money each month on this game, and you will actually get more money from people coming back to the game and for the new players joining and sticking around. Here is what you can change:

1. Drones: Allow players to purchase Flax Drones for their 9th and 10th drones (of course for a hefty credit price). I suggest 600-800 million credits for the 9th, 900 million-1.1 billion credits for the 10th. If you do this, then it is completely reasonable for you to keep the price for the apis and zeus so no need to change that. I put it so high because it is supposed to be a grind in the game for something and people will actually have a realistic chance to obtain the drone.
    2. Laser Ammo: This one should have been done a WHILE AGO but better late than never...: MCB-25 ammo should be Credit-based NOT Uridium-based (this should have been changed when new server came about a decade ago haha). You can make an option for both (obviously) but the option to buy it for credits should be implemented. I suggest between 100-200 credits per unit of ammo. The reason for this is because people will have more hope that they can actually gain more resources (uri) from aliens in a less time in order to gain new equipment, ship designs, log disks, etc. This will compel them to keep on playing because they think they have a realistic chance in competing PvP one day (becoming UFE and competing). If you ever think about making an option to buy MCB-50 ammo for credits, then the credit per unit has to be at least 1000 credits per unit. I would suggest 3000 credits per unit. (example: 10,000 MCB-50 = 30,000,000 credits). I actually wouldn't mind it being at 5000 credits per unit lol, as long as you all are trying to make the game more reasonable and enjoyable for everyone, which this would make it a reality. So it wouldn't be an endless stream of MCB-50 ammo because you would be spending more credits than receiving from aliens but you would be able to obtain it with more ease.
    3. Galaxy Gate probability: This is not for the rewards of any gate, this is for the GG page to obtain the gg parts, where you can get ammunition, xenomit, repair credits, gg parts, nanohull, and log disks. The percentages need to change, not drastically, but reasonably. Current probabilities, Ammo-67%, Xenomit-12%, Repair Credit-3%, GG Part-13%, Nanohull Strength-4%, Log Disk 1%. My suggestion: take off 8% from Xenomit and distribute it to Ammo (+2%), Repair Credit(+1%), GG Part(+2%), and Log Disk(+3%). The new probability would be:
      Ammo69%
      Xenomit4%
      Repair Credit4%
      Galaxy Gate Parts15%
      Nanohull Strength4%
      Log Disks4%
      This is not a drastic change and it would not hinder the profit you get from people that already pay each month.
    4. Bonus Boxes: completely delete the bonus box chance of getting below 1000 credits, and change it do 1000 minimum and then increase it to whatever you would like to (e.g. 2000... 3000... 5000, etc.). Increase the amount of LCB ammo in the bonus boxes slightly, like to 50 units minimum and to about 500 max. Increase the minimum MCB-25 ammo to a minimum of 25 units and a maximum of 200. MCB-50: minimum 15 units, maximum 100 units.
    Now... here comes the part where, after you make changes, you need to make a strategic move in order to gain traction again. You will need to spend money to advertise on social media sites, etc. I suggest you rename this game to designate the change and to have a new face to people to show them that you have actually changed something in the game for them. A suggestion: Dark Orbit Beyond.

Notice how I did not say to change any of the different types of weapons, customizations, ship designs, etc. That is all okay to still keep; however, you need to give a feasible chance for people that are not willing to spend a significant amount of money for a free-to-play game. The main aspects that will revive this game will be the Drone and Laser Ammo sections I had. That alone will change the game for the good.

Again, the first two sections I talked about are the most important sections that should be looked at.

User since: 19-07-2008

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    κγβε® likes this.
  2. dark8blue

dark8blue User

It just seems like all of this just caters to you. I see nothing wrong with how most of the stuff is now. Most people don't even use flax drones ever. They go straight to bidding on iris, which can all be acquired pretty easily through auction all 8 for less credits that the cost you propose for a 9th Flax. 10 Flax would be 10 lasers, and 8 Iris would be 16, so ya.. that's just not gonna happen, because it's illogical.

X2's are pretty much free, and a lot of people play with x1s and are perfectly content. Add Prom to your x1s, on a standard basic FE ship with no boosters and you hit 8k on a Drill, that's enough to fight and defeat all NPC's and all Boss NPC's with no problem. For cubing, assemble a group with 2 others, or just get in an Aegis, which everyone basically already has, laying around somewhere. X2's can be obtained through boxing and gate spins.

Bottom line.. there's a lot of old player's on here who have come and gone, and come back numerous times, and have had everything pretty much reset due to new stuff being added, and had to rebuild, that's just part of this game, because that's the type of game DO is. There will always be a new level to get to, whether it be with rank, or with equipment. There's always new stuff coming out, there's events every month, there's plenty of opportunity to obtain the things you need without reworking stuff that caters to your needs. Just try harder, and work for it like everyone else has. I know people who have been playing this game for a decade, and still aren't UFE.

3. Lol! The whole point of the thread is to give ideas and they don't have to be exactly the way I laid them out. It is not to cater to me, it is to cater to new people, which is what will make the game stay alive and possibly revive it. I understand all those things. You can't get Apis and Zeus in auction so I'm not sure how you figured out how the content (not the conext) of the idea is worthless or "illogical." I said 9 and 10, not 1 - 8. Right now, you can only have Apis and Zeus, or nothing else. I'm not sure how you didn't comprehend that. You just provided evidence for why they should allow the buying of flax for the 9th and 10th drone; some people have played for a decade and still aren't UFE or even close lol.

Exactly, there will always be new stuff coming out, but for the new players that don't want to pay, (or for anyone that doesn't want to pay or hasn't paid and are relatively new) they will most likely bow out and move on... which is what happened. The exodus started back in 2010 (really when new server took over officially) and each subsequent year. Why? Haha, it seems you did not understand the reason why I posted. People didn't see a chance of competing or having a chance to obtain certain things in the game that required high amounts of uri. This isn't about it catering to me HAHAHA. I am providing building block ideas for reviving the game. I didn't say reduce uri on any design, customization, etc. Why? Because I think it should stand the way it is but there is no reasonable middle ground for non-paying players to get there without years of playing (which the vast majority of the base of each free-to-play game is people who don't pay or pay seldom). I am talking on a game developer standpoint mostly because they would get more people to play and more people willing to pay for a game in which they like/love and not because of an addiction. You would probably get more addicts if you changed the game haha.

I expected a reply like yours and I got that one first lol. Not surprising since [most] of you people that are still active still expect people to grind for years and/or pay. This is real world stuff. They aren't making nearly as much money as back then even with the addicts paying. Your first paragraph is the true non-sequitur.

4. dark8blue

dark8blue User

What would make the game stay alive, and get new players to stay active, is offering different lower level maps for lower stat players, allowing them to do quests and even fight each other without being 1 shot popped by a UFE player(s). I dunno your point on Flax, you're still making no sense. I clearly said that 8 Iris are better and cheaper than 10 Flax.

It sounds like you are caught in yesteryear on DO, and not wanting to adjust yourself to move onto today's DO. There are other options, if you search, there are plenty of other games similar to DO where you can play free, even old school private servers. There's another game that is similar to the old client DO, that many who are unsatisfied with this game, have migrated over to, because it has more of what you are looking for. I won't mention the name of the game here, because it's against forum rules, but I'm sure you can find it.

I rarely post on the forum, in fact, this may be maybe my 5th post, since I've had this account, which is over 10 years old. I just don't see any sense in what you're asking for, and since this is a forum, everyone has an opinion, and that is mine. If you're gonna be defensive and not open to others opinions then maybe the forum isn't for you? If you "expected a reply like mine" and that bothers you, maybe you shouldn't post on here, or any forum on the internet; I'm assuming there will be a lot more harsh criticisms than mine. I'm also assuming people who frequent this forum are just plain tired of reading suggestions like yours, and prefer to ignore them rather than bump them up the forum, like I am. Which is why, I won't be replying to this again.

Best of luck with this..

5. As someone who has played since 2011, I feel where your sentiment is coming from, but it is very clear that you either have not played lately, or do not understand the game dynamics. If a player is at a point where they are getting anywhere near a billion credits, they'll most likely be FE or better after the quests and PvE required to get to that point, which defeats the whole point of a 9th or 10th flax. As dark8blue pointed out, a billion credits not only gets you full iris, but on many servers could get you a venom, diminisher, solace, or other goli variants. Laser, log-disk, and galaxy gate probabilities would have helped the game when it was transitioning from Darkorbit, to Darkorbit: Reloaded, but at this point, the daily missions and new login rewards defeat the purpose. When a player can get 5k uri a day from daily quests, that are ridiculously easy, just time consuming, on top of rewards like log disks, extra energy, and booty keys, there really isn't a point in changing those aspects of the game.

The real killer for the game right now, in my opinion, is the number of unkept promises. Daily and weekly auctions have never run special events, refractions still isn't fixed, most events are delayed or changed last minute, and the new ships and designs are event based. At this point, its easy to get to a point where you are FE, and from there, assuming you play daily, or at least remember to login, you'll be halfway to UFE if you're playing right and not blowing uri on x3 so you can PvP.

6. Your original reply to the drones was a non-sequitur, and you still cannot comprehend that it is a non-sequitur. [REMOVED]

Last edited by moderator: Aug 6, 2020
  7. great for bots ... not neccesary for normal players .
    you'll give bots more ammo from boxes , newb accounts with bot will also grow faster due to the credit ammo-upgrade .
    and for the drones : also neh ! 9th and 10th are special , it was meant to be as extra's for those willing to put in effort and uridium .

thor714 likes this.
  8. κγβε®

κγβε® User

1. I like it a lot.
    Once you have 8 drones you can't add Flax on top of that. It's either Apis&Zeus or nothing.
    These two were released as a cash grab, they really are just Iris, with 2 slots and nothing else.
    So a 9th and a 10th drone uridium-free, as lower version (1 slot) of Apis and Zeus, is always welcomed for new players. Iris (8)+Flax(2) [18 slots] = Iris (9) [18 slots] with I=A=Z
    Though I would reduce significantly the credits cost you proposed and make it an assembly item; along with the credits add some other required resources (e.g. scraps etc., or new ones) obtainable by playing the game. This have to be balanced in a way that you are able to craft these two special Flaxes in the early stages of the game, before you have completed the Apis&Zeus otherwise it's pointless. Let's say around level 17.

2. I don't think it will work out well as X1 ammo will be underused and useless in the long run and The X2 will be the new X1. As an example old equipments (lasers, gens etc.) are forgotten.
    In my opinion X2 and X3 should be merged in one type of ammo with X2.5 DMG, or X2 vs NPCs and X3 vs Players. Players get them form GG spins anyways and if they want to buy them the price will be in between the two (0.75 U).

3. I guess on-one will refuse this but I would like to see a complete rework of the GG system.
    I'll say this. There's almost nothing Massive in Darkorbit anymore. The majority of players forgot that this is a Multiplayer game and they keep playing it solo for the most part. Half of the players on maps are bots and the other half is lost in galaxy gates. Although it still remains an Online game that is last part standing before the the game eventually goes offline.