[TI] Bonus boxes don't load in time (pop-in graphical bug)

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by GreenandGrey, Nov 8, 2019.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Hi,

I've noticed that bonus boxes don't load until you're right next to them. When traveling at full speed this means you've already passed them by the time they load. This was done intentionally back before the new client in order to prevent a zoom exploit which I personally helped identify and report. When playing on the old client you could zoom out in your browser (not in the game client) and gain an advantage while searching for bonus boxes.

This zooming behavior isn't present in the new client. When changing the scale on our browser in the new client it only changes the size of the user interface, such as the chat window and minimap window size. Back when we identified this bug I thought it was questionable to narrow the load distance, but respected the change as necessary since not everyone was able to utilize it while boxing. Now the bug is only present when playing in 2-d, but the load behavior is the same in both rendering modes. You can test this in your client if you go to settings.

I'd like to ask the load behavior be reverted in 3-d mode to render further away so that the bonus boxes are visible when players first approach them. Pop-in is a graphical bug and the reason it was introduced is no longer relevant. Bonus boxing also isn't as effective as a method for advancement as it was back then.

If rendering at a greater distance is not possible then the render time should be shortened so they show up faster. Currently there's a fade-in and fade-out animation that plays before boxes and cargo appear. This can be shortened or removed with a config setting. The load distance could also be added as a config setting for players that want to collect bonus boxes but don't want to spend computer resources loading them at greater distances if they don't mind the pop-in that comes with the shorter render distance.

Another way to fix this might be to perform more frequent render checks on cargo and bonus boxes. Checking more frequently means less delay in loading and unloading, which means what's rendered on screen will more accurately reflect what is around you.

Thank you.