[SC] Time to pull the plug?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by JediThorson, Dec 15, 2020.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know this game has a lot of fans, some who have spent considerable amounts of money to build their accounts, but, it is time to end it once and for all.

Let's face it, there's more bot's than players, and recently the game has had more bugs than an ant hill. And, instead of dealing with these issues, they open a new server, setting everyone back to zero, and inviting even more cheating to build back up.

Everyone knew flash was ending, they had plenty of time to prepare, but what do we get? A downloadable client that no one likes, or trusts. Instead of working to move to unity, they spent their time on events. events that no one likes it seems.

Once before I suggested that all this was deliberate, and I'll say it again, is BP doing this deliberately? Looking for a reason to shut the game down, but keep us forking over cash in the mean time.

If this game is to survive, it's up to us to take action. Keep playing to show its popular, but stop giving BP money, until they address our concerns and fix the problems.

Anyone else what to add their feelings?

2. Darkorbit's "temporary" solution going into 2021 to Flash shutdown was this new client that is basically Chrome with Flash Player installed.

However literally weeks after (or before I dont remember) the official release of the new client, Adobe announced that Flash will be blocked from running on all browsers, platforms, websites - and blocked from any users or business or ANYONE from obtaining Flash at all, in addition Microsoft has announced recently that Flash will no longer be supported in Windows software after July 2021 and it will no longer exist in Windows.

I don't think Darkorbit anticipated this. I honestly don't even believe they are aware of this new development with Flash being blocked from running, judging by one of their recent posts.

It's not a question of if to pull the plug, but as to when. Considering their temporary solution, the DO client, was supposed to last them well into 2021, you're looking at months of Darkorbit being non-existant as a game until Unity can be rolled out. So you think they will even have a playerbase left or even care at that point to continue DO.

That's even assuming they even are close to finishing it or working on it at all, I've seen small 200 MB pixel flash games such as ROTMG take 1-2 years to convert/rebuild into Unity with a full development team of 15+ people(maybe even more), and DO only has like 3-5 devs who are just releasing content their old dev team created(who've all quit or relocated in Bigpoint btw) , in addition to DO being so old they have to most likely manually rebuild DO into Unity which takes longer than converting.

And even if they are successful in converting it into Unity, the fastest method of making DO Unity, it's going to have every single bug of the Flash version of DO plus the bugs from converting to Unity so the game will be unplayable anyways, as if it is playable right now, lol.

Best case scenario is they already have Unity ready to go, although a crappy unplayable piece of garbage, but ready to go. But I doubt this because the new DO client was supposed to last well into 2021 like I said. And they have yet to give us an update on Unity in months.

_oversoulpaul_ likes this.
  3. And of course, once the browser version ends on the 28th, half the player base will vanish. (Those using mac's or otherwise unable to use the downloadable client.) With them will go a significant percentage of the income bigpoint gets from the game. I'm sure at that point someone will decide that the game is not "financially viable" and pull the plug.

My advice, keep playing until it vanishes, but stop putting money into it.

4. !TS!

!TS! User

Fun fact they should of been prepared for this long time ago, the official unity client should of been out start of this month. People wanted pve servers years ago why they decide to release it right now??? If your even spending 1 dime to this game you legit have no brain... Back in the day og players remember when nearlly 10,000 accounts got hacked in 2011?? What did they do? Nothing.......... What will they do now? Nothing xD

5. I DONT THINK THEY CARE........

6. I'm truely disgusted in the way we are being dealt with, Bigpoint seem to lack any care towards it's players/customers coz at the end of the day we are customers paying to play. No Customer Service skills at all.....

7. And of course, we all know what will happen. When, not if, when they shut down the game, they'll blame us players. They'll say something along the lines that, our complaints make keeping the game going unviable, or some such. anything to avoid accepting the truth, their attitude toward us, and the poor content, and poor quality of the game is the reason for the complaints.

Anything to avoid accepting responsibility.

8. MRR

MRR User

Flash will only be blocked from running in browsers (and only if you have latest version of Flash Player installed — they have a timebomb in them). DO client uses an older version of the player and will continue to work as usual.
    Microsoft will only block they own ActiveX Flash Player plugin (the one used in Internet Explorer), it won't affect other browser and the client,

9. Darkorbit at its current stage is like a beat down car. It barely works and you don't want to put any more money fixing it so you just use it until it dies for good. I wouldn't spend any more money in this game as it can be shut down almost at any moment

10. Zecora

Zecora User

Pulling the plug for what? Whether it slowly fades or gets shut down in an instance, there is no difference. Other than the game being gone. And people having to stop forcibly because they couldn't have done so if the game stood online. In the end, any plead for a shutdown is a plead for someone wanting to stop playing a game but they can't on their own.

Wait, you really think the game won't stay financially stable? I mean eventually it won't, yeah. But I can tell you about 9 people who have spent well over 500€ since the release of the PvE Server... And it barely has been a week. And people will keep doing that, because ranking. And frankly, more people did that, including me and several other people I know. A lot of people clearly bought the Aegis or Diminisher package. Which is yet another big bunch of money. I bet this month was one of the biggest income-months of BigPoint in a while.

I knew that from day one. Because no game lasts forever. That's not exactly something new. At the end of the day, you can't deny you didn't enjoy the money you spent over the years. Because whether you buy yourself some snacks or some uridium, both is eventually gone and doesn't last forever. Unlike a game you purchase once and you keep it forever.

Because that's basically what's happening? We have a division of 3 groups. The one who wants the game to be adjusted towards full PvP, the one who wants the game to be adjusted towards PvE, and then there's also that group who just wants a full overhaul. I count myself to the latter. Yeah, who to listen to?

Over the years, we have gotten what content exactly? Sure, in the last few years we may have gotten a lot. But viewed in a full picture, Dark Orbit didn't expand much. Some games I have played expanded in size by 5 times over a time span of 6 years. When they were released, they were like what... 5 gigs big? Nowadays, they're sitting at 30 gigs of space needed. Not sure about the size of Darkorbit, but considering the content, it's not exactly a lot for 14 years of time.

At the end of the day: Enjoy the game as good as you can.

11. That is not correct information and quite dangerous to suggest an old Flash version will be secure to use. And I said nothing about ActiveX Flash Player plugin at all but rather Microsoft's Windows usage of Flash entirely being removed in July 2021.

Adobe has clearly and firmly stated they will prevent the usage or acquisition of Flash Player by any group, browser, individual, or any one at all and by all means necessary and Darkorbit's browser will be no exception.

Flash Player will be completely extinct and will simply no longer exist with the exception of old Flash Player versions on your computer, which will be completely unsecure, blocked and useless and once undownloaded you cannot obtain it again, and custom made Flash Players made from older versions of Flash Player, which leads me to the next point:

Old versions of Flash Players or custom versions will be completely vulnerable to attackers and anyone with old versions of Flash Player on their computer can have their information stolen and their machines compromised very easily because there will be no security updates, thus Adobe can be held responsible if they allowed anyone to continue to use their product. I have actually seen someone exploit Flash Player on a kid's game I used to play when I was young and trust me, so many people on here will fall for it.

That is also why Microsoft and MAC will be completely removing Flash Player from their OS by July 2021 to prevent anyone even having an old Flash Player to begin with. And every single major browser will be removing Flash PLayer from their browsers entirely.

So unless Darkorbit is stupid enough and decides to use a old version of Flash Player, which is almost impossible because they cannot obtain nor use Flash Player nor can any other individual, or a custom made Flash Player, then you will most likely have your ship, or even worse, your personal information stolen by exploiters and attackers on Darkorbit and they may even be players themselves that will do this.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  12. Yes I Totally Agree

Fear_Factory likes this.
  13. yes sort the bugs and botters

14. no way keep

15. is this game STILL up and runing ??? WOOOOW !!!!!!!!

Raveman100 likes this.
  16. why are these threads still active, don't we have any mods taking care of these things? In the last month we couldn't play well due to constant server issues. Does anyone know if we are gonna get the unity client soon in the next year or DO will get closed?

17. I agree with most of what's been said here . Not much else to say.
    I don't spend money like I used too.
    Only to maintain premium status on a month to month basis and my uri discount subscription .
    But , I have lost all patience with this game . If I get one crash or black screen , Or if I am unable to logon , I quit and go watch some T.V.
    I check the forum from time to time to see if there is any GOOD news and to see if there is any info on "The Unity Project"
    So far , nothing that would inspire confidence. When I get done viewing forum now , I will have to see if my back page has locked up as it usually does . If so , I will quit the server and go do something else.
    What a pity.:(:(:(

18. `Djurkz`

`Djurkz` User

What ever we experienced good or bad it is not their business anymore as we continue to play and enjoy a bit...if you quit many newbies on the way lots to spend.. for me in case, I don`t expect their help it will never come...JUST GIVE US A NICE SERVICE...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.