[UI] New Player Server

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Kharelia, Apr 18, 2020.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Kharelia

Kharelia User

I came back to the game a couple of weeks ago and, as a returning player, there are a couple of changes I really like, such as the updated daily missions and the ability to craft certain items.

Unfortunately, however, I can’t help but feel that the game is now extremely unfriendly to new/returning players - due to the fact that when they start they are put on a merged server with many players that have been in the game for years.

The way I see it is that the gap between established players and new/returning players, while obviously understandable in the sense of how old this game is, is made obvious and much worse by the fact that many of these very well-established players think nothing of one-shotting new/weaker ones (several times over in some cases). Added to that is the fact that it is really hard for new/returning players to actually get ‘the good stuff’ they need to build up their ships because of the prices people are able to bid in the auctions (depending on the server they’re on).

So, I have come up with something that I hope will go some way to addressing these issues and possibly make the game more appealing to new/returning players while at the same time, making it possibly a little more challenging to established ones. I apologise for the length of this post!

Why not, put all new/returning players on their own dedicated server so they can build up before actually ‘joining’ the normal servers, kind of like a faction academy? Allow me to explain…..

Maps

The maps on this server would be exactly the same as they are on the normal servers BUT the lowers (x1-x4) would be strictly PVE only, no PVP whatsoever on those maps and any gates that connect them with other faction maps would be removed. This would allow players to learn the basics and start building themselves up in peace with no fear of being attacked by anyone else.

PVP could then commence once players reach the uppers (x5 onwards) but only against players no more than two levels lower than theirs. Their player level would be shown with their rank. (Ideally I would remove the option to attack members of your own faction as well in all maps on this server.) This would put everyone on a relatively even playing field so that they could actually learn to PVP each other!

Time

Players would stay on this dedicated server for 14 days but this would be 14 days game time… NOT real time. So if a player only has an hour or two per day for gaming, they still have the same chance to build themselves up as someone who has several hours per day. Once that game time is over, their account would be automatically moved to one of the normal servers. They would also have the option to choose to move to a normal server at any point during their 14 game-time days if they wish.

Start-up and quests

Players would start with a liberator that is fully kitted out with the maximum amount of LF3s, top shield and speed gens and the top repair bot. There would then be new quests (in addition to existing ones) for them to build up enough credits and/or uri so they can then go and buy better ships and get them equipped so they are constantly building themselves up by playing the game!! My idea is that the target would be a fully fitted out Goliath by the end of their server period. At the end of their beginner period, players would have a new and final galaxy gate to go through where, upon completion, they could get a nice lot of goodies to take into the normal servers with them. However, if they choose to join the normal servers early, they do not get to play the final gate.

Auctions

Auctions would still take place but in a more limited way. In the same way you can only purchase Iris drones until you own a total of eight, players would be limited to only bidding on what they can actually use on their ships. For example, if they have a Goliath with 8 Iris drones, once they have 31 LF3s, they can no longer bid on them. These items would have no resale value on the beginners’ server. Players would need to build up credits by playing the game (i.e. killing npcs, completing missions and skylab). This would make auctions much fairer as players would only be bidding on what they need, not what they can sell.
    Players would also be limited in that although they could still purchase elite ships/items, they could only be used once they move to the normal servers. The strongest ship available for use in the beginner server would be a normal goliath.

General

Skylab, galaxy gate energy and log disks would still be built up and used as they are now and would be transferred over along with the rest of the account at the end of the player’s time on the beginners server. There would be no clans – the players’ chosen faction is their clan! If players want to join clans they can do so once they get to the normal servers. Players could, of course, still group up and play together if they wish. The chat would be moderated by seasoned players who could answer any questions. The new player section of the forum would be made clearly available as well. Bigpoint could still make money from this server by putting together bundles especially for these players for when they come out of ‘the academy’ and into the normal servers – they could advertise them throughout this period.

I do realise these ideas have flaws and I don’t have answers for everything – for example, I can see how the botters would love not having strong players coming in and killing them on the lower maps! Also, I have no idea if this would be viable from a business/development point of view. My belief, however, is that my ideas would give new/returning players at least some chance of being able to build up before joining normal servers while at the same time, taking these players out of the normal ones so that established players have more of a chance to really PVP if they wish. I honestly think this might just help retain some new/returning players.

If all the above is overly complicated, and even I can see myself that it might be, why not just start a brand new server where all players are starting out at the same level?

Again, I apologise for the length of this post but it’s something I’ve been thinking about since I came back. I hope you like some of these ideas but welcome constructive comments.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020