[UI] Why the Skilltree isn't working as intended

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Bakjam, Feb 25, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Bakjam

Bakjam User

Introduction
    Today, I would like to discuss the current functioning of the skilltree / pilotsheet / pilotbio / money tree or however you like to call it. While the skilltree may look like a way to distinguish yourself from other pilots and a way to choose your own strategy (much like drone formations and ships), you'll soon find out that the skilltree is actually extremely fixed and limited. In advance I would like to say that for the solution, I will also think from a developer-point-of-view, in addition to a player-point-of-view because I feel like to many people who come up with a solution tend to forget that Bigpoint is a commercial company. Let's break it down!

The Problem
    Ever since the introduction of the skilltree it is known that the skilltree is probably the most expensive feature of the game. While in the beginning, a studypoint requires only 30 logfiles, that amount rapidly increases to thousands of logfiles for the last 15 studypoints. All studypoints can be divided over three different paths (offensive, defensive and bonus) each consisting of several different skills. So far nothing new.

With so many options you would expect that the skilltree is a great way to choose you strategy based on your needs. Facing some tough NPC quest? Go for extra NPC damage! Are there special bonus boxes lying around? Go for increased bonus box loot! Want to raid that base that has been there for god knows how long? Invest in mines!

Unfortunately, the above does not remain more than 'hypothetically possible'. For three reasons:

1. Seprom
    Unlocking a skill from the skilltree often requires more than just a studypoint and some credits. It wil also require an increasing amount of seprom the higher the skill's level and the further to the right the skill is located. Since the skylab can hold only roughly 9K seprom, but unlocking a level 5 skill on the right page requires 1K + 2K + 3K + 4K + 5K = 15K seprom, after resetting your skilltree it will take several days (or even weeks) before you have enough seprom to unlock your new path of skills.

2. Studypoints become increasingly expensive
    As mentioned earlier, studypoints become incredibly expensive: 30 logfiles for your first studypoints equals 6750 uridium with rebate, while 1234 logfiles for studypoint number 40 equals 277650 uridium with rebate! This limits you in the amount of studypoints that you can obtain (without playing for years), which in turn forces you to rely on the safe strategy: a fixed path consisting of fat lasers, hit probability, evasive manoeuvres, and if you're lucky rocket damage. It prevents you from making any side steps because every extra studypoint that you need will cost you an insane amount of uridium.

3. The reset cost becomes increasingly expensive

This is arguably the biggest problem with the skill tree as for today. Because once you have 35 or more studypoints, you can choose any strategy you want. Want full mine and rocket damage? 35 studypoints will do. Want to go out all offensive against NPC's or players? 35 studypoints will do. Want to gain extra loot and honour? Again, 35 studypoints will do. This means that for as long as you can just keep resetting your skilltree (and wait for seprom) you can switch strategy at any time.

The increasing amount of reset cost will however punish you for using different tactics, every time you switch to gain an advantage, you automatically have to pay a higher price to do so to the point where resetting your skilltree becomes more expensive than buying the logfiles required for a new studypoint. It again, banishes out any side paths and forces you to rely on the safe strategy.

The Conclusion
    As you can see the skilltree suffers from a lot of problems. Not only is it too expensive but it also does not function as intended: granting you your own choice. Instead it requires you to either own 50 studypoints (which is just too expensive) or stick to a fixed path. Besides, even with 50 studypoints you still cannot unlock all the skills which means there will always be skills you're missing out on.

The Solution
    Oke, enough analyzing, let's try to solve this problem. We need to address 3 problems in order to create a more interesting, fair an fun skilltree that will also provide Bigpoint some money (see further down below).

1. Reduce the amount of seprom required to unlock skills. The only thing that the seprom limitation adds is a need to wait. Not to play but to wait. You don't even have to be online to bypass this penalty. In fact: every second that you spend online without the skills will leave you vulnerable. This stimulates not playing or not resetting.

2. Reduce the reset cost: anywhere from 10 - 20K uridium per reset + scrap or another special ore. The fixed amount of uridium will allow you to reset your skilltree as many times as you want. At the same time, the special ore will encourage you to play. It should be noted that the amount of special ores should not be to high (20-50), otherwise it will have the exact same effect as an increased uridium price.

3. Cap the number of resets to once per week. This is very important as it will prevent people from switching too often. This way, the skilltree will become like a drone formation with a longer switch time. It will allow you to change your skill tree once a week, for example when taking down a base or for special boxes, while somewhat maintaining the need for more studypoints.

4. Reduce the cost per studypoint. This is something that I feel like should be done anyway, even if no other change is being made. The current costs become to high for it to become attractive to obtain all the studypoints.

Why this solution will make Bigpoint money
    The current system is fixed, players will not invest uridium to reset the tree, they will not buy uridium to buy extra logdisks (especially due to the enhanced LF4). However, if the reset cost and perhaps even the studypoint cost are lower, it becomes much more attractive to reset the skilltree. In addition to uridium, the special ore will stimulate players to play the game.

In the end, what matters most is that the reset cost should be fixed, not the skilltree itself.
    But this is just my opinion, I would like to hear from you guys as well so let me know what you think down below.

Greetings and happy hunting,

Bakjam

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Sapphire

Sapphire User

Special ores adding to the reset does not actually sound attractive and most likely will encourage people to keep themselves away from the reset, unless it's Mucosum or low amount of Prismatium. Other way, this idea is kinda perfect if could say so.

3. Bakjam

Bakjam User

Hi, thank you for your respsonse!

I agree, if it becomes a special ore like Indoctrine Oil it won't work. Anywhere from 20 - 35 scrap / mucosum or prismatium should be fine.

4. I like the idea, but would want to take it to a different path. All 3 paths use some of the same Basic Skills, and it is just some of the higher levels that really get changed.

Why not allow us to "Transfer" Pilot Points to different Skills for a set price, no need for Seprom or other Costs just the "Transfer" of the points, the further to the right the higher the price. This could have the limit as stated and it also allows the person who assigned a point to the wrong skill to move it where they wanted it instead of having to reset the entire tree. Maybe 100 Uridium for the First level Skills, 500 Uridium for the Mid level, and 1000 Uridium for the top level, again these are per Skill Changed not the entire section. I would suggest Aurus for the ore as it seems to be the only thing that has a halfway decent drop rate.

5. Twotam1

Twotam1 User

WOW.

Never realized how much it would cost for pilot points!

[​IMG]

For F2P players, pretty much out of the question without years of play time.

SCAN

thought chart would come in larger.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. Bakjam

Bakjam User

That could be possible, but I feel like that system would be more complicated and need additional features provided by the developers. For example: how would you be able to remove one studypoint, by double-clicking the skill? By selecting the skill and then clicking some kind of: 'reset this skill button'?

Of course my option will need some work as well but I still feel like it would be less than adding a single-point-reset.

Nonetheless, I can understand how assigning a studypoint to the wrong skill can be frustrating indeed, so perhaps we need something like this regardless of what.

7. I wasn't thinking a single PP but a single Skill, say I had PP's in "Tactics" and decided I wanted "Heat Seeking Missiles" instead you could select "Tactics" and there could be a "Transfer" button that you would click then select the "H S M" and all points assigned would be transferred over for 100 Uridium plus whatever extra ores were decided on. This could be done to as many of the skills in each section as desired but once you leave the Skill Tree then you have to wait the 7 days you suggest before you can change them again. This basically removes the need to reassign all of the points just because you want to remove the PvE that you chose to go more PvP or Boxing or whatever the reason for the reset was to begin with.

If this was from the FAQ's you could always embed the link with the first item in the 3rd box at the top of the post window.

8. Bakjam

Bakjam User

Aah indeed a great option then ;)

9. I disagree with you. Making ores as requirements (low or high doesn't matter) will make people stop using the reset button.

Because:
    - The ores they use (i will use for example Scrap, because you've mentioned it) Scrap, they will save it for red/blue keys. No points why they will add into reseting of Skill tree.

The current system for increasing the uridium needs for reseting the skill tree is good, but i agree with that, that they need to set lower values of seprom need to build the skill.

10. Bakjam

Bakjam User

Wait so you agree with the increasing cost of uridium?

11. Yes, why not?

The ores is hard to collect them because chances to drop npcs Scrap is low. Farming is easy, i do minimum damage x1 (naked lasers not prommed and sepped) 10-11k diamond formation.

12. Bakjam

Bakjam User

I would rather have to collect the 30 - 50 scrap as mentioned than 200K uridium...

13. Not to mention the weeks of waiting for the Seprom to be created so you can re-assign the P P's to the New Skills.

14. Bakjam

Bakjam User

Indeed.