Client freezing on win11?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by Fly1ngThunder, Jan 3, 2023.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Downloaded the client on win11, started it up, white screen and it instantly closes again. Compatiblity, admin rights, nothing works. I assume the client just doesnt work for win11?

2. Kernow69

Kernow69 User

I have the same issue.... game was loading 10 hours ago, but now no access .
    I've checked everything , all drivers, etc up to date and removed/ redownloaded client. :mad:

3. Larrakin

Larrakin User

Had the same issue when I first upgraded to win 11, clearing your cache each time you start the client seems to "fix" it.

4. Kernow69

Kernow69 User

Can't clear cache in client as doesn't stay open long enough.
    Have now re-installed windows in the hope that would help... but no luck there :(
    I can still access OLD web back page... so can download client from there.. but still cannot get into game on this laptop.

5. Wild guess but does your laptop use an AMD graphics card? If yes, you likely have to roll back the video driver. 22.5.1 should work per another thread here in the forums.

6. Kernow69

Kernow69 User

Yes I have AMD RADEON graphics.
    I am running the original installed driver after full reset to factory settings so cannot rollback the driver, as the recommended driver in forum was never installed on this laptop.
    The mystery is why after a year the client just stopped loading.
    Even after a full laptop reset to settings a year ago.. when client loaded fine and I could actually play DO it still refuses to fully load.:(

I also did fresh download of client.

I have had to go back to old pc and use that to play.
    BUT ... I got laptop to replace pc as it cannot fully handle the game. It's very slow to respond to commands and my ship jumps around like a maniac on drugs... like it's got a serious nervous twitch.
    This means It's almost impossible to lock on anything as it's already moved on before my command is actioned.

Last edited by moderator: Jan 15, 2023
  7. I am running w11 and have no problem. Try going to C users then your name appdata local then bigpoint and delete folder then go to bigpoit and reinstall client. It may give you a clean install for using w11

8. Larrakin

Larrakin User

And it more than likely still won't work with AMD,
    1; If your computer is less than 6 months old, it won't let you install older graphic driver packages,
    2; you don't have version 22.5.1 AMD drivers as DO has yet (6 months later) not worked out a fix.
    AMD has several more recent driver releases but they generally don't work with DarkOrbit.

If you do have 22.5.1 so you can play DO, expect lower gaming quality when playing other games... 22.5.1 was a little buggy so became outdated fairly quickly.

I went back to an older I5 with Nvidia graphics - No issues with win 11 or DO browser.
    My 3 month old Ryzen 7 machine is used for everything that isn't DO.

PĂĽÀĐÌŅ likes this.
  9. SirThrills

SirThrills Board Administrator Team Darkorbit

Thanks for assisting the OP,

As mentioned above, unfortunately there is an issue with AMD Graphics drivers newer than 22.5.1 (There is an existing bug report for this, no new information at this time). If you install that driver version, is your issue resolved?